The Online Magazine Communicating All-Things Pets With The SaddleBrooke Ranch Community
SUBSCRIBE

The Online Magazine Communicating All-Things Pets With The SaddleBrooke Ranch Community
SUBSCRIBE

Start Over | Headlines | Participate | Contact Us | About Us

Safety


27 Jul 2017 08:57
Toxic Toads Kill More Dogs than Rattlesnakes 
Important warning about Sonoran Desert Toads tangling with our pets.

Here is a short list of what owners can do if this happens to your dog:

Sonoran Desert Toad (Bufo alvarius) First Aid for Dogs

Turn on the garden hose (or other water source) to get a small but steady, gentle flow. Too high a flow can cause your dog to choke or swallow water. Too low a flow (a mere trickle) would be ineffective.

Hold your dog's mouth open with its nose pointed downward to prevent water from going down its throat.

Put the hose up to the back corner of the dog's mouth and direct the water flow forward towards the front of the mouth. Having the water flow out of the front of the mouth is very important because you don't want your dog swallowing or inhaling any of the water. Rub the dog's gums and wipe off its nose to help remove any toxic slime.

Depending on your dog's exposure, continue rinsing its mouth for up to 10 to 15 minutes.

If you are unable to immediately and thoroughly rinse out your dog's mouth, if your dog has eaten all or part of one of these toads and/or swallowed the toxin, or if your dog still exhibits any toad poisoning symptoms after washing its mouth, seek immediate, emergency veterinary care!

FINALLY: Important Warning. Always check your yard for toads, snakes and other hazards before letting your dog out for any reason. Stay alert to hidden dangers whether in your own yard, at a friend's home or out walking or hiking with your pet.

by Kay Lantow

Safety


27 Jul 2017 08:57
Toxic Toads Kill More Dogs than Rattlesnakes 
Important warning about Sonoran Desert Toads tangling with our pets.

Here is a short list of what owners can do if this happens to your dog:

Sonoran Desert Toad (Bufo alvarius) First Aid for Dogs

Turn on the garden hose (or other water source) to get a small but steady, gentle flow. Too high a flow can cause your dog to choke or swallow water. Too low a flow (a mere trickle) would be ineffective.

Hold your dog's mouth open with its nose pointed downward to prevent water from going down its throat.

Put the hose up to the back corner of the dog's mouth and direct the water flow forward towards the front of the mouth. Having the water flow out of the front of the mouth is very important because you don't want your dog swallowing or inhaling any of the water. Rub the dog's gums and wipe off its nose to help remove any toxic slime.

Depending on your dog's exposure, continue rinsing its mouth for up to 10 to 15 minutes.

If you are unable to immediately and thoroughly rinse out your dog's mouth, if your dog has eaten all or part of one of these toads and/or swallowed the toxin, or if your dog still exhibits any toad poisoning symptoms after washing its mouth, seek immediate, emergency veterinary care!

FINALLY: Important Warning. Always check your yard for toads, snakes and other hazards before letting your dog out for any reason. Stay alert to hidden dangers whether in your own yard, at a friend's home or out walking or hiking with your pet.

by Kay Lantow